Gorgonzola is a very ancient cheese. Some say it was first produced in the town of Gorgonzola in the year 879 AD. There are two types of Gorgonzola: the softer one is a straw-white, soft cheese with greenish streaks deriving from a process called "erborinatura" in Italian. It is the creation of mold making its taste peculiar and typical, the cheese is slightly spicy; the stronger one (known as piccante), whose curd is more blue-veined, is thicker and more crumbly.
To ensure its authenticity from raw material,by law and tradition, only milk produced in 20 provinces located in two Italian regions may be used to produce and grant Gorgonzola cheese a DPO certification,. Maturing lasts at least 50 days for softer types, and more than 80 days for spicy Gorgonzola.
Gorgonzola cheese is now produced by approximately 30 cheese factories in modern plants processing milk in accordance with hygiene and health standards, with fully equipped laboratories and the care and experience required for a kind of cheese that requires significant manual work and inspections.
How to recognize it
Gorgonzola rounds are marked at the origin on both flat faces. Consumers may recognize the cheese when they buy it by the brand printed on the aluminum sheet wrapping the cheese, which is exclusively assigned to the producers authorized by the Consortium
Take it out from the fridge at least thirty minutes before consumption.
- Matching with mascarpone cheese and walnuts is a classical one.
- Raw vegetables (celery, cherry tomatoes, peppers, radish),
- On salads with a delicate dressing sauce.
- Ideal in cheese platters and sandwiches or in four cheeses pasta, and pizza.
- Can be cooked by making fondues with other cheeses and cream
- perfect with Gnocchi and Walnuts in a white sauce.
- 加上mascarpone cheese和核桃（傳統食法）
Spicy Gorgonzola cheese requires well-structured, valuable, aged red wines／辛辣的Gorgonzola需配以陳年紅酒:
- Barolo, Barbaresco, Chianti Cl. Riserva, Recioto, Amarone, Brunello di Montalcino, Cabernet
Soft and creamy gorgonzola cheeses are better matched with soft, savoury red and/or white wines. ／較淡類Gorgonzola可配以較輕的紅／白酒：
- White wines, Riesling, Pinot Bianco, Orvieto Classico, Frascati Sup., dry Malvasia, and Gavi
- Rosé wines: Chiaretto del Garda and Lagrein Kretzer.
- Red wines: Valtellina superiore, Sassella, Dolcetto with any origin, slightly sparkling Barbera, Chianti Classico, Teroldego, Merlot del Triveneto, Sangiovese di Romagna.
Product available in Ferrarini Counter at YATA supermarket
Information Provided by Ferrarini Ham and Cheese Experts